Sunday, September 30, 2012

Statement on Marriage Equality

Among the many hats I wear is being a member of the congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Belfast, Maine. I am very proud to say that the congregation has engaged in a process of drafting and approving a Statement of Conscience in support of the upcoming vote on Marriage Equality on the Maine State Ballot this November. Here it is:

"We, the Congregation of the Unitarian Universalist Church of Belfast, Maine, stand on the side of love. We unconditionally respect and affirm the right of all adults to marry, and in doing so, strengthen Maine families and communities.

Today, many fundamental benefits are denied same-sex couples who seek to live in a bond of love and compassion within the sanctity of marriage.

As people of justice and conscience, we honor and respect marriage as a cornerstone of our freedom and the pursuit of happiness. We urge our neighbors across Maine to join with us in support of marriage equality and vote YES on Question 1."

1 comment:

  1. I am a member of Brunswick Friends Meeting; we, too, support the Equality in Marriage Act. Whenever issues of inequality arise, I am always prompted to tell others that....I grew up to be one of the people my parents warned me about...Please, vote for equality!

    ReplyDelete